Top 3 Recommendations:
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to save lives!
- Practise fire drills with your whole family.
- Only shut off fuel oil or propane or natural gas if you smell them.
This section of the workbook will:
- Provide a Home Hazard Hunt (risk assessment) to help you determine what needs to be done to make your home safer in an emergency.
- Explain how you can help ensure that your home is structurally sound.
- Teach you how and when to shut off any utilities.
- Outline the basic steps of fire prevention.
Listen to local radio to get timely information updates during an emergency/disaster ALL ARE ON THE FM
BAND: CBC Radio One 88.3; CBC Radio Two 101.7; CKPR 91.5; Rock 94.3; Magic 99.9; The Thunder 103.5; The
Giant 105.3; Francais (French) 89.3.
As much as 1/3 of all reported emergency loss is caused by non-structural damage to building contents that is relatively easy to prevent. Preparing your home is well worth the investment because of the huge losses it can prevent.
Topics in this section: