All open-air burning permits are suspended and no open fires or fireworks are allowed within the municipality.
The use of Fire Pits, Outdoor Fireplaces and Chimeneas are NOT PERMITTED in the Municipality of Shuniah without a permit.
You now have the option to apply for your OPEN AIR BURNING permit online. Submission of a CONDITIONAL PERMIT FOR “OPEN AIR BURNING” constitutes agreement with the following conditions:
- The applicant acknowledges having read and understood By-law #2649-13 and all Schedules of By-law #2649-13.
- This Permit shall be in effect from the date of application to the last day of December of the same calendar year.
- This Permit shall be kept at the site of the Open Air Burning and produce it upon request from the Fire Department or authorized authorities.
- It is the responsibility of the person issued the permit to check and monitor burning conditions as well as to ensure a “Total Burn Ban” is not in place.
- The person issued the permit shall have at the location of the open air burning at all times a competent person and enough water and equipment to completely control and extinguish the fire.
- The person issued the permit shall extinguish the fire until dead out before leaving the open air burn unattended.
- This Permit may be revoked at any time by the fire chief or his/her designate for failure to comply with the regulations of the by-law or unsafe practices.
- This Permit is granted for the purpose of open air burning, the size of a “Campfire” is to be limited to one 1 meter X 1 meter X 1 meter (3.3’ x 3.3’ x 3.3’) on a non-combustible surface. The fire shall be solely for the purposes of cooking food, providing warmth or recreational enjoyment.
- This Permit is granted for the purpose of open air burning, the size of a “Brush Pile” is to be limited to one 1.8 meters X 1.8 meters X 1.8 meters (6’ x 6’ x 6’) and solely for the purposes of burning piled wood, brush and leaves.
- This Permit is granted for the purpose of open air burning, the size of a “Incinerator Fire” is to be limited to one container designed for purposes and constructed completely of none combustible material placed on a non-combustible surface. A maximum of 202 liters (55 gallon) and an outlet or exhaust opening covered by a screen having a mesh of not more than 7mm (1/4”).
- This Permit is granted for the purpose of open air burning, the size of grass, hay, straw or standing material shall not exceed 15 meters (49.5‘) to the leading edge where sufficient persons and resources are available to contain the leading edge of the fire to within 15 meters (49.5’).
- From April 1st until October 31st burning is permitted after 5 PM until 8 AM only. No Daytime Burning is allowed.
- By-law #2649-13
- Schedule A of By-law #2649-13: CONDITIONAL PERMIT FOR “OPEN AIR BURNING”
- Schedule B of By-law #2649-13: COST OF FIRE DEPARTMENT SERVICES
- Schedule C of By-law #2649-13: SCHEDULE OF SET FINES
Acrobat Reader is required to open the above files and is a free download.
The Online Application is not compatible with older web browsers (i.e. Internet Explorer 8). Please update or use a different browser to complete the Online Application.
If you have any technical issues regarding the online application, please contact us with the issue that occurred so that we can correct it.
Any personal information we collect is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001. Personal information is collected in compliance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The personal information collected is for the purpose of issuing Burning Permits. None of your personal information will be shared, rented, sold or otherwise released to any third party without your consent.