Important!Improperly stored chemicals can create a secondary disaster following a major emergency. Care must be taken to store them properly now.
- Keep only those chemicals you need and use. Dispose of old or unwanted chemicals at a designated collection depot.
- Except when flooding is imminent, place pesticides, gasoline, paint thinners and other chemicals on the floor, on a low shelf or in a locked cabinet. They should also be away from children’s play area.
- Chemicals should be stored well away from any water or food storage items.
- Make sure container lids are tightly closed.
- Store ammonia and bleach in different locations. If mixed, they create toxic fumes.
Shelter in Place
If there is a Hazardous Materials Spill in your area – for example a highway transport truck accident or a train derailment – you may be instructed to Evacuate or Shelter In Place.
See detailed evacuation and shelter instructions in the next chapter.