Would you like a challenging and rewarding volunteer experience?
Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services (SFES) is an organization dedicated to saving lives and protecting property through fire prevention, suppression and public education. We are committed to continuous learning and superior customer service. If you like helping people, appreciate continuous learning, and are physically fit, you may be an ideal candidate for a position as a volunteer firefighter.
What do volunteer firefighters do?
Successfully complete Volunteer Firefighter Recruit Training and then an average of 15-25 hours/month of additional training, emergency responses and meetings. In addition to the above duties they will:
- Perform firefighting duties and other related work as required.
- Respond to and work in all types of weather under less than ideal conditions.
- Work in a safe manner, in accordance with all applicable Acts, Regulations, Policies.
- Participate in community events as required.
- Carry a pager and respond to emergencies when available.
- Participate in scheduled training.
- Be conscientious and dependable.
What qualifications do I need?
- Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Normal vision and hearing.
- Physically and medically fit.
- No phobias of confined heights or spaces.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must live full-time, year-round, in the Municipality of Shuniah
- Must provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 as defined by the Ministry of Health
We can provide you with
- Free Firefighting training.
- First Aid and CPR training.
- Other training if required. (Class D licence with Z endorsement, Pump Operators, etc.)
- Life Insurance.
The Volunteer Firefighter intake process consists of the following steps.
- Orientation and review.
- Completion of the application.
- Review and approval.
- Training and probation.
How do I apply to become a volunteer firefighter?
If you are resident of Shuniah and you are looking for a long-term commitment, please contact Fire Chief Blair Arthur, CEMC at (807) 983-2021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.