|Disability/Special Need||Additional Steps to Consider|
|Hearing impaired||May need to make special arrangements to receive warnings.|
|Mobility impaired||May need to make special arrangements to get to a shelter.|
|Working parents||May need to make alternate child care arrangements.|
|Non-English speaking persons||May need assistance planning for and responding to emergencies.|
|No vehicle||May need to make arrangements for transportation.|
|Special dietary needs||Plan to have an adequate emergency food supply.|
|Daily Medication needs||Ensure you have an adequate supply.|
Planning for Special Needs
- Find out about special assistance that may be available in your community.
- Discuss your needs with your employer.
- If you are mobility impaired & live or work in a multi-storey building, have a stairway escape chair.
- If you live in a multi-unit building, ask the management to mark accessible exits clearly and to make arrangements to help you leave the building.
- Keep specialized items ready, including extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen tanks, catheters, medication, food for service animals and any other items you might need.
- Be sure to make provisions for medications that require refrigeration.
- Keep a list of the type and model numbers of the medical devices you require.