- Avoid loose long sleeves when cooking.
- Check kettles and toasters for damaged electrical cords and thermostats.
- Use appliances that have an automatic shut-off.
- Keep a timer handy to remind you when the oven and burners should be switched off.
- If you take medication that causes drowsiness, do not use cooking appliances.
- Use a temperature-controlled electric skillet or deep-fryer for frying.
- Never leave your cooking unattended.
- Use appropriate cooking appliances and keep them clean.
- Keep a pot cover nearby to “put a lid on it” in the event of a fire.
- Fireplace: always use a fire screen, ensuring it is the appropriate size for the fireplace opening.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or use extension cords in the place of additional outlets.
- Smokers should check furniture for fallen cigarettes or embers, which can smoulder undetected for hours before bursting into flames.
- Ensure careful use of smoking materials and extinguish in water before disposal.
- Never leave cigarettes in an ashtray unattended.
- Use ashtrays with a double rim and deep centre.
- Keep matches, lighters and lit candles out of the reach of children.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Install at least one smoke alarm outside each sleeping area. For improved safety, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom.
- Check electrical appliances regularly: electric blankets, heating pads, curling irons, radios, televisions, irons.
- Bedrooms should be non-smoking areas.
Basement and Attic
- Remove all combustible and flammable materials from the basement and attic.
- Store gasoline in well-ventilated areas.
- Do not store propane indoors.
- Use only approved containers to store and transport gasoline.
- Have a thorough yearly maintenance check of the furnace carried out by a professional.
- When replacing an old furnace, consult a professional to determine the most safe, economical and efficient system for your home.
- Chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year.
Garage and Workshop
- Flammable materials – thinners, gasoline, paints, industrial cleaners – should be stored neatly in approved containers and away from possible ignitable sources.
- Do not smoke, or leave matches or lighters in the garage or workshop.
- Install and know how to properly use the appropriate fire extinguisher for the garage/workshop.
- Keep the area clean. Remove garbage, paper products, oily rags and wood shavings regularly.
Permanent link to this article: https://shuniahfire.com/fire-safety-prevention/fire-safety/home-tips/