«

»

Structure Fire – Alder Road

Shuniah (June 18, 2018) – At approximately 6:00pm on Friday, June 15, 2018, Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services (SFES) responded to reports of a stove fire on Alder Road in the Municipality of Shuniah.

Upon entry of the first arriving crews, they found moderate smoke on the first floor and located smoldering embers in the wall behind the stove. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire and ensured there was no fire extension to
other areas of the home.

The fire was declared extinguished at approximately 6:25pm followed by a period of ventilation to remove any remaining smoke throughout the first and second floor. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental activation of a stove top element by a pet causing a cutting board to catch fire.

While no one was home at the start of the fire, the quick actions of an occupant just arriving home, evacuating their pet, turning off the element, and closing the doors of the home, saved their pet and prevented the spread of the fire. Six SFES firefighters in two fire apparatus responded to the call. All SFES units
were back in service by 7:45pm.

SFES would like to remind the public about the importance of smoke alarms on every level of homes and that carbon monoxide (CO) alarms are required outside sleeping areas when combustion appliances are in the home.


The short URL of the current page is: https://shuniahfire.com/ErUZ5

Permanent link to this article: https://shuniahfire.com/2018/06/structure-fire-alder-road/

Top