«

»

Shuniah residents saved from Dangerous Levels of CO

Shuniah (February 22, 2017) – At approximately 1:00pm on Sunday, February 19, 2017, Superior North EMS Paramedics attended a residence in Shuniah to assist a female in her 50’s with a medical emergency. While attending to the patient their Monitor/Defibrillator alarmed indicating dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide in the residence. The patient was transported to the hospital and her condition started to improve with fresh air and oxygen. The other two residents showed no signs Carbon Monoxide sickness and attended the hospital with the patient.

Shuniah Fire and Emergency Services responded quickly to the residence and found high levels of Carbon Monoxide, it was unsure at the time if the wood stove or the oil burning furnace was the cause of the Carbon Monoxide. An older Carbon Monoxide detector was present but not working. It was later determined that the wood stove may have been the cause with a down draft situation.

New Carbon Monoxide Alarms have been installed in the residence and no Carbon Monoxide has been found since.

Shuniah Fire & Emergency Services wishes to remind the public the importance of working Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms in saving lives and recommends testing all Smoke and CO alarms monthly and replace them by the date on the alarm.


The short URL of the current page is: https://shuniahfire.com/lFYSm

Permanent link to this article: https://shuniahfire.com/2017/02/shuniah-residents-saved-from-dangerous-levels-of-co/

Top