Non-essential travel between the United States and Canada has been restricted. Check the Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisories for more information.
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit has issued a Fall Travel Guidance recommending the avoidance of all non-essential travel outside of Northern Ontario.
What is COVID-19?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that circulate in animals including humans and may cause illness in them. Human coronaviruses are common and can range from mild illnesses such as the common cold, to severe illnesses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS CoV). The current novel coronavirus that originated in Wuhan has been renamed COVID-19 as of February 11, 2020 and on March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 as a pandemic.
See the below sites for current information about the virus, statistics, restrictions, testing information, and news.
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit COVID-19 (updates regularly)
- Provincial COVID-19 Information (updates daily)
- Federal COVID-19 Information (updates daily)
- Current COVID-19 situation worldwide (Johns Hopkins University)
- Local Information & Closures
Find out how to protect yourself, what to do if you’re sick after you travel, and how to recognize possible symptoms
- Infection Prevention and Control Canada
- National Institute of Health – Surface Stability (March 17, 2020)
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Public Health Ontario
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit
- COVID-19 Advice for the Public (WHO)
- Travel Advisories and Travel Advice (Government of Canada)
- Self Monitoring and Isolation:
- Hand Cleaning:
What we are doing to remain prepared for COVID-19
- Ongoing infection control and routine and additional personal protective equipment (PPE) training
- Ongoing awareness of COVID-19 updates
- Social distancing between staff and additional disinfecting of high-touch areas in our stations and apparatus
- Following updated Training Bulletins from MOHLTC
- Dispatch Screening for COVID-19