Please do not call Telehealth or the Thunder Bay District Health Unit if you are not experiencing symptoms or have not had possible exposure to COVID-19 as telephone resources are overwhelmed.
All travellers who have travelled anywhere outside northwestern Ontario as of March 27, 2020 are strongly recommended to self-isolate. Read more on the TBDHU website.
Non-essential travel between the United States and Canada has been restricted. Check the Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisories for more information.
A Restricted Fire Zone was declared by the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry related to COVID-19. All open-air burning permits are suspended and no open fires or fireworks are allowed within the municipality.
What is COVID-19?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that circulate in animals including humans and may cause illness in them. Human coronaviruses are common and can range from mild illnesses such as the common cold, to severe illnesses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS CoV). The current novel coronavirus that originated in Wuhan has been renamed COVID-19 as of February 11, 2020 and on March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 as a pandemic.
- Non-Essential Workplaces Ordered to Close in Ontario (March 23, 2020)
- TBRHSC YouTube Channel (Updated daily)
- Current COVID-19 situation Canada (ESRI Canada)
- Ontario Parks Closing to Public until April 30, 2020 (March 18, 2020)
- All Porter Airlines flights suspended until June 1, 2020. (March 18, 2020)
- COVID-19 Assessment Centre Operational at TBRHSC (March 17, 2020)
- State of Emergency – Ontario: New Mandatory Restrictions (March 17, 2020)
- Municipality of Shuniah Public Notice of Temporary Closures (Updated March 17, 2020)
- First COVID-19 case diagnosed in Northwestern Ontario (March 14, 2020)
- Status of cases in Ontario (Updated daily at 10:30am and 5:30pm)
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre Pandemic Plan Activated and Assessment Centre being established (March 13, 2020)
- Current COVID-19 situation worldwide (Johns Hopkins University)
- Local Information & Closures
Find out how to protect yourself, what to do if you’re sick after you travel, and how to recognize possible symptoms
- Infection Prevention and Control Canada
- National Institute of Health – Surface Stability (March 17, 2020)
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Public Health Ontario
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit
- COVID-19 Advice for the Public (WHO)
- Travel Advisories and Travel Advice (Government of Canada)
- Self Monitoring and Isolation:
- Hand Cleaning:
What we are doing to remain prepared for COVID-19
- Ongoing infection control and routine and additional personal protective equipment (PPE) training
- Ongoing awareness of COVID-19 updates
- Social distancing between staff and additional disinfecting of high-touch areas in our stations and apparatus
- Following updated Training Bulletins from MOHLTC
- Dispatch Screening for COVID-19